Today, a large number of businesses are using cloud telephony services to communicate with each other. The key reason is the swift growth in the global VoIP market. Also, the remote working trend will continue to grow in the VoIP industry in 2022. Both small businesses and large enterprises are moving to cloud telephony solution to enable remote work. There are several benefits of using cloud telephony. In this blog post, we will discuss all about cloud telephony, how it works, and what benefits it offers.
Cloud telephony and the way it works
Cloud telephony is the advanced technology that moves a business phone system to the cloud. When moving to the cloud, businesses need not worry about building and managing the infrastructure. Cloud telephony provides highly reliable and scalable communication services for businesses of all types and sizes. It works similar to a traditional business telephony system, except the thing the calls are routed via the internet.
When a business uses a cloud telephony service:
- It will get a virtual number
- The users can easily place or receive calls from this virtual number
- When the users receive or make a call, the call is routed via the internet, in the form of VoIP
Benefits of cloud telephony
Better than on-premises PBX systems
Cloud telephony is much better than traditional on-premises PBX systems in many ways like:
- It is quick to install and easy to use: Traditional PBX systems generally involve complex wiring, telephones, routers, and switches. On the other hand, a cloud telephony system only requires an internet connection. Users can use their existing mobile and landline devices to place and receive calls. Besides, its setup process is very quick and easy.
- No infrastructure needed: With cloud telephony, users are not required to maintain the infrastructure. The service provider will take the responsibility to maintain the cloud servers and provide uninterrupted service.
- Allow seamless integration with existing software: A cloud telephony solution can simply be integrated into an existing CRM or ERP software using APIs. Some service providers also provide custom integrations with various popular helpdesk and CRM tools as per the user’s requirements.
- Allow instant changes: Cloud telephony allows users to make instant changes like adding or removing agents and the changes will be reflected on the go.
Provide enterprise-grade communication
Cloud telephony provides enterprise-grade communication for all the teams within an organization. In organizations where most of the work is performed by field staff, the staff usually need to use their personal mobile phones to make calls. Most of them use two mobile devices to keep their work and personal calls separate. This can be quite inefficient and insecure. However, with the help of a cloud telephony system, this issue can be addressed effectively. Cloud telephony allows easy access to all the teams within an organization that needs to interact with customers. Moreover, the calls made using cloud telephony can be tracked, monitored, and recorded for future reference.
Cloud telephony allows much more than just calls
Apart from the ability to make calls, cloud telephony can support assorted marketing initiatives. The service provider allows users to set up SMS marketing, missed call campaigns, and other effective customer engagement tools. Cloud telephony services also support paid advertising with the channel or campaign-specific virtual numbers which users can use to measure the performance of their campaigns.
Offers better scalability
Other than offering high-quality communication, cloud telephony also allows better scalability. No matter if it’s a small business or a big enterprise, everyone can leverage cloud telephony to deliver reliable voice quality while assuring reduced latency. When an organization plans to scale its operations, it need not to buy extra infrastructure because a cloud platform can be scaled easily to accommodate the growing number of agents. In simple words, with cloud telephony, businesses can easily scale up or scale down as per their needs without investing heavily in infrastructure.
Cloud telephony helps in improving agent productivity
By eliminating various operational obstacles, cloud telephony helps in enhancing the overall agent’s productivity. To put it simply, cloud telephony helps to:
- Save employee time: With cloud telephony, the agents are no longer required to go through customer data again and again and enter the key details into their mobile phones. They can easily place a one-click call from within the CRM system without wasting their valuable time.
- Ensure timely activity: Cloud telephony systems provide timely notifications about the necessary actions required for leads or inbound calls. This helps in preventing the chances of agents forgetting to take necessary follow-up.
- Enhance conversion rates: Since cloud telephony automates the follow-up system, it greatly reduces the time in responding to the customers. It further improves pick-up rates with dynamic caller ID.
- Eliminate repetitive processes: Using a cloud telephony system, businesses can automate various repetitive tasks. For instance, they can implement a virtual receptionist to greet customers and perform an initial screening of customers’ issues. After initial screening, customers’ calls can be routed to the most appropriate agent with the help of an automatic call distributor.
Cloud telephony provides automatic updates
Since cloud telephony is an internet-based service, it continuously upgrades itself. This helps in offering users a superior quality communication experience. The service providers inform their customers about product updates so that they can make the best use of new features and functionalities.
Cloud telephony ensures better data security
Users can be assured of better data security with the help of a cloud telephony solution. To assure that the cloud is a completely secure solution, make sure that the cloud solution offered by a service provider:
- Follows the best security practices through asset, network, and infrastructure monitoring.
- Complies with all the legal and regulatory requirements of the geographies where they are operational in.
- Complies with mandatory data protection laws within the country.
- Calls are made through a virtual number. It means that even the organization’s own staff will not have access to the customer’s data, thus assuring complete protection of the customer’s privacy.
Cloud telephony offers improved visibility
Cloud telephony allows users to have better visibility into their day-to-day operations. The system automatically captures operational data like channels of inbound calls, call volumes, call timings, agent’s response time, call duration, the average number of calls made by each agent, call recording, etc. All these captured records can be used by upper-level management to monitor the performance of their employees, make informed data-driven decisions, train employees, and much more.
The advancement in technology and the current pandemic situation have accelerated the adoption of cloud telephony among a large number of businesses worldwide. It is expected to grow more in 2022 and beyond as several organizations are planning to implement a remote working culture by leveraging the benefits of cloud telephony services. Therefore, it will be correct to say that more and more companies in the coming years will maximize their investment in cloud technology.