In the last few years, working from home has become a new normal worldwide in the last few years. A large number of businesses are finding working from home or remote working systems a good option. That’s why several businesses are transforming their strategies and operations to accommodate work from home culture. When talking about work from home or remote work culture, the name of VoIP technology comes instantly to mind. By integrating VoIP for business into the remote work system, companies can easily manage their remote team. Before looking into the role of VoIP in the work-from-home scenario, let’s know more about remote work culture.
What do you understand by working remotely?
Working remotely is in trend these days. It can be defined as working from home or from anywhere outside the office. Remote work is simply performing the jobs from a location other than a central office. The remote location could be a:
- Private office
- Employee’s home
- Co-working or shared space
- Or any other place outside the traditional office building or campus
Remote work has become more and more popular due to the benefits that it offers for both employers and employees alike. Creating a successful remote work environment requires an amalgamation of the right culture, technology, and processes, allowing remote or virtual teams to work effectively from anywhere.
Characteristics of a successful remote workforce
A successful remote workforce generally shares some common characteristics such as:
- Sturdy and reliable connection: Remote teams largely depend on fast and steady internet connections. They also need mobile technologies that can support intensive usage.
- Right communication and collaboration tools: Although working remotely, remote workers must work together as they do while working in the same location. For effective communication, a remote team requires various collaboration tools. They need reliable, high-quality applications and platforms for various tasks like videoconferencing, chat, file sharing, etc.
- Healthy work culture: Virtual teams that perform well usually have a healthy work culture. The culture of trust and teamwork makes the team highly focused on achieving the best possible results. A culture that encourages remote work also comprises supportive management that believes in working from home. This supportive management empowers individuals and teams to work successfully in remote work culture.
Benefits of remote work culture
As mentioned above, remote work culture is beneficial for both individuals as well as organizations. As compared to the traditional on-site work style, remote work offers various specific benefits. Some of these benefits are mentioned below:
- Reduced or no commutes: Remote workers do not require spending a lot of time traveling to and from their work location, especially when they opt for work from home style. This allows remote workers to gain a significant amount of time. This extra time they can utilize to keep a balance between their personal as well as professional lives. Besides, remote work also allows significant savings on transportation costs.
- Improved business continuity: Virtual or remote teams are usually more adaptable as they do not require to be at the same location to perform their jobs. This is perhaps a great benefit for businesses, especially their business continuity plan. In case of an unexpected event or an emergency where employees are not able to work on-site, remote workers will continue to perform their jobs without disturbing the organization’s workflow.
- There is no need for bigger office space: Companies with a large remote workforce generally require less physical office space. Since very few employees or employers come to the work location, they need not arrange extra space for a remote workforce. It means extra savings and long-term flexibility.
- Ability to hire talent from anywhere: Remote work culture allows organizations to hire the best talent from anywhere in the world. Since employees work remotely, they need to be from a particular location. Also, the companies do not need to offer costly relocation packages to their employees. Thus, remote work culture is highly beneficial for recruiters in a competitive marketplace or those facing skills shortages for a particular job.
What role does VoIP play in remote work scenarios?
No matter how you define remote work, communication is the biggest concern of many organizations. With the help of VoIP or Voice over Internet Protocol technology, businesses can easily manage the entire flow of communication and that too in a cost-effective manner. Since Voice over Internet Protocol converts the voice traffic into data traffic and routes it over the Internet, it eliminates the requirement of a PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) connection. Besides, Voice over IP is managed over the cloud. Thus, it involves no complex, messy wires, no additional links, or other tools unless the user wants or requires a dedicated voice connection. By just logging in to the system using personal credentials. The benefits of VoIP in a remote work environment are many such as:
- It allows users to make and receive calls from anywhere, using any smart device, as long as they have a good internet connection.
- No matter where the team members are working, they can communicate with other team members and customers as if they were in the office.
- Voice over IP also supports video-conferencing features, thus allowing companies to create an integrated communications environment.
- It comes with several unique features that make communication a seamless process. The best features include call forwarding, call recording, call routing, voicemail, IVR, voice prompts, etc.
- It allows cost-effective long-distance and international calls. Internet calls are usually free or cheaper than calling via a traditional PSTN connection.
- With the help of a good internet connection, users can enjoy outstanding call quality without any disruptions.
To conclude, VoIP makes remote working a highly effective and more productive option for today’s businesses. If you are planning to make remote work a long-term plan, make sure to include Voice over IP technology in your processes to help your virtual team perform their best.