Several businesses have already invested in VoIP technology and are leveraging its benefits to the fullest. However, there are still few businesses, especially the small businesses that are often doubtful of investing in big infrastructure projects. But do you know switching to VoIP can be easy and cost-effective? In this blog, you will get to know about creating a VoIP system on a budget and how you can benefit from this system.
VoIP is one such technology that has completely transformed the way businesses used to communicate. Traditional telephony systems are quite expensive and inflexible systems. Moreover, it doesn’t provide enough features that today’s businesses look for. Perhaps that’s the key reason why so many businesses are making a switch to VoIP technology. Digitalization and work from home trends have made Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) a logical choice. It’s a more versatile and flexible phone system that businesses can easily set up within no time. With remote-working models, businesses can easily keep their employees in touch with each other as well as with customers, collaborators, clients, and other stakeholders.
Tips to build a cost-effective VoIP system
Here are some of the key tips that can help you to build a cost-effective VoIP system as per your business requirements:
- Determine the number of users you will require: The first and foremost step in making a VoIP system up and running in an organization is to determine how many users you want to have. An idea about the number of users will help you in making the right decisions as you go along. It will help you to figure out how many lines you require, the capacity of your internet connection to support the expected call volume, which features are required, and more. Also, make sure to ask your service provider about what kind of deal they can offer based on the number of users.
- Get a fast enough internet connection: After determining the number of users, it is essential to check whether your internet connection is fast enough to handle the VoIP call/data volume for that kind of user volume. The VoIP service you sign up for must work well with your existing internet connection. What you can do is, check your internet connection’s ability to handle VoIP before signing up for a particular service.
- Set your budget: VoIP comes with numerous features and functionalities. You may get confused by looking at an array of add-ons and functionalities you can use. Therefore, it is advisable to set up your budget in advance. This will help you to stick to a particular budget when you start looking at the essential features and plans that are a perfect fit for your business. Based on your key requirements you can go for a monthly or annual plan. Though paying annually may help you to get considerable monthly savings.
- Choose the required features: As mentioned in the above point, VoIP offers a lot of features. It is vital to determine which features are most important for the proper functioning of your business communication system. Some of the key features offered by VoIP include auto call routing, unique phone numbers for each employee, conference calling, call rules, mobile applications, and more. Based on your unique business requirements, prepare a list of features that are important to keep your business on track. Based on this list, you can make the VoIP selection process much quicker and more efficient. You just need to select a plan that provides all these features. You can even get a customized VoIP plan, designed to meet your specific requirements.
- Choose the right VoIP service provider: Now that you have decided on all the key requirements for your business, it’s time to choose the right VoIP provider. Based on the number of users, budget, features needed, you can easily select the best VoIP service provider. Just be clear about your user requirements, scalability factor, budget, and other important considerations before making a final choice.
- Get the right device and other hardware: After choosing your VoIP service provider, you must get the right device and hardware. The best thing about VoIP is that with most VoIP services, you don’t need to purchase special VoIP phones. With the help of just an adapter that you can plug into your analog phones, you can start using the VoIP service. In several cases, you can continue using your existing computer, tablet, or mobile phone. However, you may need to buy a VoIP phone to fully utilize all the extra VoIP features. You can get different kinds of VoIP phones available in the market these days from basic to sophisticated ones based on your key requirements.
- Configure your VoIP phone system: Many VoIP phone systems allow users to plug their phone into your Ethernet system and configure the settings on their phone to start using the service. To set up a VoIP system, you don’t need a dedicated staff. Your service provider will help you with the setup or may offer you in-depth tutorials on how to set up a VoIP system effectively.
If you are interested in switching to VoIP, the above-mentioned tips may help to build an effective VoIP system on a budget easily. Even smaller businesses can leverage the benefits of VoIP by following the tips mentioned above.