Are you planning to move your existing PBX phone system to the cloud? If yes, then with the help of Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), you can easily move your system to the cloud. With SIP, Voice over Internet Protocol is achievable. Today, the success of an organization largely depends on the way they communicate not just with their customers but also partners, vendors, coworkers, and prospects. The technology allows users to cut various operational costs including marketing costs, outsourcing costs, and others without sacrificing the quality of service that they provide. In this blog, we’re disclosing how SIP works and how you can benefit from it.
SIP, also known as Session Initiation Protocol is the process of transmitting voice calls over a SIP trunk. This technology works efficiently along with VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) in phone systems. SIP calling not only brings considerable savings for your business but also boosts your organization’s efficiency.
How does SIP work?
A traditional phone system usually consists of two parts:
- PBX: Offers call management features such as call transfer and voicemail.
- PRI lines: Connects the calls to the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network), which is responsible for routing the call to its destination.
With SIP, companies do not require a regular, physical connection to a phone company. There is also no need for installing multiple phone lines. Instead, a SIP trunk, also known as a virtual phone line, is installed over the company’s existing internet connection. The trunk eliminates the need for PRI lines and connects the calls to the PSTN directly via the Internet.
Benefits of SIP phone systems for businesses
SIP trunking is gaining the attention of businesses everywhere. As per the Global SIP Trunking Market Forecast report 2020-2027, the SIP trunking market was valued at US$ 13.44 billion in 2019 and is anticipated to reach US$ 30.22 billion by 2027. Moreover, it is expected to grow at a CAGR of 10.8% from 2020 to 2027. There are several reasons why SIP phone systems are beneficial for businesses. Some of the key benefits are mentioned below:
- Improved flexibility
Besides a basic call setup, a SIP phone system can perform many other VoIP functions like:
- Ascertaining user location
- Determining user availability
- Assigning media capabilities
- Session setup and management which involves transferring and terminating calls, adding 3-way conferences, and more
- Enabling instant messages
- Facilitating multimedia conferences,
- Offering user presence information, etc.
All these features help companies to eliminate the need for various devices while allowing employees and customers to stay in touch easily and effectively.
- Cost-effective solution
Another key reason why so many businesses prefer switching to SIP calling is the massive savings that it offers for businesses. SIP phone system allows organizations to eliminate various expenses associated with:
- Hardware purchases, installation, and maintenance costs
- Multiple subscription plans
- Different networks
- Converting all calls into local calls (resulting in huge savings on international calls)
Investing in the best SIP phone system also allows organizations to get instant return on investment. SIP systems eliminate various major expenses associated with a traditional phone setting.
With the increase in competition, many leading players in the market these days even provide free SIP trunks for testing. Companies can try these trunks for free and choose the best one according to their requirements.
- Easy scalability
With traditional phone systems, adding more telephone lines, installing those lines, and making room for extra equipment can be a hectic, time-consuming, and costly affair. Buying additional phone lines can be frustrating as you may need to buy them in groups. It means that you may end up buying more than you require. However, this is not the case with SIP phone systems. When using a SIP system:
- You just need to purchase one channel at a time and only when you require it.
- You can also easily access new carrier services such as call recording and voice analytics.
- You can even upgrade your system as and when required.
- Easy to use
Before making a switch to the SIP system, many people doubted the user-friendliness of this system. Many think that it is difficult to use SIP calling and implement it in their office. However, in reality SIP phone systems are:
- Very easy to install and use.
- As far as maintenance is concerned, users can easily do so via a simple online control panel.
- These systems consolidate all the communication needs into one device. Thus, allowing management to provide training to their staff on one system instead of several.
This way, the SIP phone system simplifies the entire calling process.
- Easy to maintain
With a SIP phone system, businesses need not worry about complex maintenance processes. The system offers numerous tools to:
- Allow users to monitor and resolve issues efficiently without taking much time.
- SIP trunking providers can help users to reroute services quickly, either to a redundant data line or mobile phones.
This eliminates any downtime consequences for the organizations.
- Improved sound quality
By switching to SIP technology, business owners can enjoy the superior sound quality of their calls. A SIP phone system usually utilizes:
- Wideband audio or HD voice to outspread the frequency range and double the sample rate of telephone audio.
- Enhances call clarity, thereby preventing the chances of dropped calls or unproductive calls.
This means SIP technology facilitates better sound quality and clarity of calls.
- Stability of calls
SIP technology also ensures call stability. By switching to a SIP phone system:
- Businesses can make themselves more available to customers than ever.
- They can easily reroute calls automatically from their phone to another extension or an employee’s mobile phone.
The call stability feature ensures businesses that they will never miss out on a sale due to the inaccessibility factor.
To sum up, SIP calling brings in several benefits for businesses. It not only improves the quality of calls but also helps to enhance the overall efficiency and productivity of businesses.