In the past few years, there has been a drastic transformation in the communication process. In today’s business world, communication plays a key role in maintaining and retaining customers for long. It is vital to use the latest technologies to help businesses carry out flawless and effective communication with their customers and partners. Among various popular technologies, VoIP and VoLTE are a few widely renowned terms in the communication world. Let’s look into the details of VoLTE services and VoIP services along with their implications on the communication industry.
What do you understand about VoIP?
VoIP, also known as Voice over Internet Protocol, is a communication method used to deliver voice and multimedia communications through Internet protocol networks. A good internet connection is an essential requirement for the efficient working of the VoIP system. The reasons why VoIP gained so much popularity over traditional phone lines is that:
- The technology is much easier to implement, maintain, and configure as compared to traditional phone lines.
- It facilitates instant additional support for new users, making it easier for companies to bring on new employees.
- To set up a VoIP phone system, users need not require installing extra phone lines or complex wiring.
- VoIP makes the entire communication process faster, easier, efficient, and more simplistic for the businesses as well as their customers.
- Due to its simplicity of installation and maintenance, companies can easily scale VoIP up or down as per their specific requirements.
- Companies don’t have to spend massive amounts on equipment when using a VoIP phone system.
- VoIP technology supports an array of call features such as voice services, voice messaging, SMS, text messaging, faxing, etc.
- VoIP technology supports mobility as well. It means that the employees no longer have to be tied to their workstations to get their job done. This further leads to more flexibility and improved productivity.
Companies can consider VoIP as the best communication for all their communication requirements. While having VoIP in place, companies need not spend huge amounts in improving their communication process.
What do you understand about VoLTE?
VoIP is undoubtedly the best technology that holds an important place in today’s communication industry. In the series of innovations in the communication sector, the next popular term that is also gaining huge attention is none other than VoLTE. Though VoLTE is quite a young technology compared to VoIP, it can bring more advancement in the communication world. Despite being restricted to mobile devices, it offers a longer battery life, enhanced call quality, superior connectivity, and coverage.
VoLTE or Voice over Long-Term Evolution is simply the voice calls made over a 4G LTE network. 4G network is not only about fast downloading, flawless streaming, and smooth web browsing; it also plays an important role in enhancing call quality. VoLTE is the latest technology for wireless, high-speed communication, specifically for mobile phones and data terminals. It is admired for many reasons like:
- Voice calls made using VoLTE technology tend to have crystal clear quality, much better than 3G or 4G calls.
- VoLTE calls can be initiated quickly and connected in a faster manner.
- VoLTE can effectively support High Definition (HD) voice calls. Since it works on LTE networks, it encodes the wideband audio required to carry the HD voice call.
- VoLTE also supports wearable technology such as the Apple Watch. Besides, it supports devices that are connected to the Internet of Things (IoT) technology.
- A VoLTE call uses fewer resources when it comes to using a handset as well as over the network, thus facilitating longer battery life.
How is VoLTE different from VoIP?
Both VoIP and VoLTE use a ‘packet switching’ system. Packet switching is a method in which voice calls are transferred using data instead of the traditional analogue method. The method enables better quality voice calls and a more reliable connection. Though VoLTE and VoIP are quite similar technologies, they do have their differences. VoLTE is different from VoIP technology in several ways, such as:
- VoIP technology works well with different types of devices. On the other hand, VoLTE is only accessible on mobile systems.
- VoIP transmits the voice packets over the Internet from the sender to the receiver. The voice packet is treated similarly to any other data packet like web traffic or video streaming when sent over the public Internet. Since the voice packet is not given any special preference over any other packet, it can influence the quality of the calls. In contrast, In a VoLTE network, voice packets are given special priority, which results in better call quality.
- VoLTE technology is specifically designed for 4G LTE networks. At the same time, the VoIP technology uses both 3G and 4G networks effectively.
- Both VoIP and VoLTE technologies can send voice data packets effectively over the Internet. The difference is that the VoIP sends packets on a first-come, first-serve basis. On the other hand, VoLTE technology prioritized voice data over any other data.
As a matter of fact, both VoIP and VoLTE are the greatest innovation in the field of communication. These technologies can help companies to save a lot of money and resources on their communication systems.