DID or Direct Inward Dialing is one of the most popular telephone services businesses use for their phone system. This service allows customers to reach a department or agent directly instead of waiting in a queue or going to a menu. There is also no need to dial an extension. DID is also known as direct dial-ins, direct-dial numbers, and direct dial.
What do you understand by DID number?
DID is a term that refers to a virtual number that is not tied to a geographic location. It goes directly to an extension or location in an organization. The VoIP phone system manages direct-dial phone numbers transfer inbound calls to an organization’s phone system. The service providers route the calls via a private branch exchange (PBX) to the exact location of the number’s owner.
DIDs were developed to assign a direct number to certain employees without requiring multiple physical phone lines. With the help of one single DID number, businesses can route and process thousands of simultaneous calls to the appropriate extensions. Besides, organizations can route calls to numerous extensions while only having to maintain one DID number. Things required to have an active DID number involve a functional transfer line to which calls can be forwarded easily. Many organizations use IVR technology to route calls to a user’s phone line that could be a landline, digital line, or cell phone.
How are DID numbers used with PBX systems?
DID numbers are often used in combination with an organization’s private branch exchange (PBX) systems. In such a case, a DID service provider assigns one or more trunk lines to the customer’s PBX, allots different telephone numbers to this line, and forwards all calls to these numbers through the trunk.
When the PBX system receives a call, the dialed location number is transmitted to allow the PBX system to route calls to the particular extension. This facilitates companies to provide unique phone numbers to each employee or department without acquiring a physical telephone line for each number.
Benefits of DID numbers for businesses
There are several reasons why a business must opt for a DID Number. Some of the benefits include:
- Easy call management and routing: With the help of DID numbers, businesses can set automatic redirecting of incoming calls to the most appropriate agents or departments based on their inputs via an IVR system. This way, companies can avoid juggling multiple phone numbers.
- Improved control: Since all the calls are routed via a DID number; businesses can easily manage and track each call. They can save customer’s information or conversations and use it to resolve their issues easily.
- Extended support based on the time of day: Even if organizations have customer support teams working in different time zones, they can easily provide extended support to their customers. By combining DIDs with automated call forwarding, businesses can easily set calls to ring the correct location based on the time of day.
- Better team collaboration: DID numbers allow an organization to encourage better team collaboration among their employees. All the texts, emails, voice/video calls, conference calls, and other essential data can be combined to enhance team collaboration and communication. With the help of dedicated extensions, employees can easily reach their colleagues to collect any information, no matter where they are located.
- Enhanced caller experience: With DID numbers, customers can reach an agent or department directly without waiting for a receptionist to connect the call or listen to several options before actually connecting to a person. There is no need to wait on hold, leave a voicemail, or transfer calls multiple times. All due to assorted automated features built into advanced VoIP systems.
- Highly competent: As DID numbers allow organizations to manage and control calls effectively, it helps them create a professional image and good rapport with customers.
- Cost savings: By opting for DID numbers, businesses can minimize the number of trunks they require and still provide phone numbers to employees who need them. It also comes with a call forwarding feature. It allows organizations to easily forward the calls to different teams in multiple locations without incurring any long-distance call charges.
- Detailed Analytics: With a DID number, organizations can easily analyze the call data, including the incoming calls, calls missed, customers conversations, as well as agent’s performance, to determine the areas of improvement and get better results in no time.
- No phone numbers: There is no need to keep multiple numbers with a DID number as the whole team can connect a single number efficiently. There are fewer chances of losing any customer information while trying to cope with multiple phone numbers.
- Use local phone numbers: Many customers prefer calling a local number to reach customer service, whether a business is small, medium, or a large multinational corporation. Here DID numbers play an important role. Businesses can get DIDs with local area codes to make it easier for customers to identify, remember, and dial numbers.
- Easy tracking of campaigns: An organization can easily track its sales/marketing campaign with the help of DIDs. By assigning individual DID numbers to each campaign, businesses can track incoming calls to determine whether the particular campaign is performing better or not. Even the ROI on various advertisement campaigns can be tracked easily with DID numbers.
- Flexibility: No doubt DID is an exceptional feature. However, when businesses combine this feature with other options such as email text, IVR, faxing, and others, they can create a robust communication infrastructure that is highly powerful and flexible.
- Scalability: In the case of DID numbers, organizations can easily scale their businesses as per their growth without worrying about infrastructure bandwidth. They can add unlimited channels and manage a huge number of parallel calls efficiently.
Looking at all the above benefits, it would be correct to say that Direct Inward Dialing or DIDs are an ideal solution for any size business.