In the current situation, digital-first has become a buzzword in several industries. The Covid-19 pandemic has greatly affected the way people used to work in organizations. Many organizations adopted a remote teamwork culture. Thinking about the future, many companies are now planning to either continue the culture of working from home or divide the time between home and office. Most organizations these days are focused on transforming their offices into a digital workplace. A digital workplace is simply the workplace where teamwork and collaboration are facilitated by technology instead of by a physical location. There are several benefits of a digital workplace, such as:
- Enhanced Flexibility: Digital workplace provides greater flexibility to the employees as they can choose when and where to work. This flexibility makes employees more engaged and productive.
- Job mobility: Digital workplace encourages employees to work collaboratively across teams to fulfill the organization’s requirements. They get more exposure, new roles, and the chance to connect with other experts within the organization. This helps to develop their skills and knowledge.
- Improved Efficiency: Digital workplace allows employees to access data and resources that can help them perform better. It also streamlines the administrative tasks, leading to an efficient working environment. This adds up to the productivity and efficiency of the employees.
- Better Return on Investments: Digital workplaces are usually decentralized platforms that are easy to use. These platforms allow employees to access cloud-based data and tools easily and efficiently. This frees up IT teams to focus on other important tasks that can help to streamline workflows and generate innovative solutions for the future instead of just focusing on troubleshooting software-related issues.
All the benefits of a digital workplace further encourage the concept of digital-first. Slack, a well-known messaging app, has various innovative features to improve remote working and facilitate better collaboration and teamwork. Before looking at the features offered by the Slack system, let’s get a brief about Slack.
Well, Slack is a popular messaging app for businesses that connects people to the right information that they require. It brings people together to work as one unified team. Since its emergence, Slack has greatly transformed the way organizations used to communicate. It allows people to work in a more collaborative, flexible, and inclusive manner. According to slack, the concept of digital-first means encouraging people to work when and where they feel it is convenient for them. Based on the concept of digital-first, Slack has introduced various new features to facilitate improved collaboration for anyone, irrespective of where or when they work.
Some of the key features introduced by Slack for improved collaboration, keeping the digital-first concept in mind, include:
- Slack Huddle: Slack Huddles is a lightweight, fresh audio-first way to initiate live conversations. These conversations can be carried out inside a Slack channel or Direct Message (DM). The best thing about this feature is that the chats can also accommodate individuals (external partners or anyone). Slack Huddle is an amazing digital-first way to imitate the quick, informal conversations that usually take place inside an office. The feature also allows users to share their screens in a huddle for improved visual team collaboration.
- Voice, video, and screen recordings: Another important feature associated with the digital-first concept introduced by Slack is voice, video, and screen recordings. It is a more flexible and efficient alternative to the non-stop flow of office meetings. Users can easily create and share voice, video, and screen recordings with Slack using this feature. The feature allows users to record their ideas or suggestions and share those recordings with others in a conversation at any time. Anyone can watch these recordings at a convenient time. Even users can use various options like adjusting the speed of content (fast or slow), read through transcripts, or view on the go from a mobile device.
- Scheduled Send: Scheduled send feature allows users to schedule recorded and text-based messages on the Slack platform at their convenience. By scheduling the messages, users can convey their message to the right person at the right time.
- Slack Atlas: With the Slack Atlas feature, users are no longer required to find out the name of a new person working in the organization, their role, title, and other details. The feature allows colleagues to connect and help them navigate their organizations. This dynamic feature smartly upgrades company profiles with all the employee data, offering an up-to-date employee overview.
Though the digital workplace has numerous benefits, it is also a big challenge for the leaders of digital workplaces. If not managed properly, it can lead to disengaged and dissatisfied employees. Thus, to assure better engagement and satisfaction, it is vital to implement more collaborative features in the digital workplace that can help to build strong relationships and collaboration between the employees. The features introduced by the Slack system are undoubtedly the best way to build strong relationships, better efficiency, productivity, and a collaborative working environment in the digital workplace.