Thinking of switching from a traditional phone line to VoIP but doesn’t know how to proceed in the right manner? Worry not! In this blog, you will get to know some easy steps to switch to VoIP and improve your business workflow easily.
A Brief about VoIP
VoIP, also known as the Voice over Internet Protocol, is the flow of voice and data over an internet connection. It allows users to place voice calls from any device, including laptops, desktops, smartphones, special VoIP phones, WebRTC-enabled browsers, etc. The VoIP technology consists of various features that are useful for both the customers as well as businesses. Some of the key features that this technology typically offers include:
- Call recording
- Custom caller ID
- Voicemail to email
VoIP technology helps to streamline various processes by allowing unified communications.
Tips for switching from a traditional phone line to VoIP
To make a switch from a traditional phone line to VoIP, first of all, it is necessary to choose a professional VoIP provider. Also, you must have a good internet connection to support the VoIP system. Here are some of the key tips for a flawless transformation from a traditional phone system to a VoIP system.
- Plan your switch to VoIP: Switching from a traditional phone system to VoIP is a major decision. Though cloud PBX solutions are very cost-effective compared to traditional phone systems, it is still a great switch in technology. Thus, one must not jump directly into switching to a VoIP without proper planning. You must have appropriate infrastructure and proper training before transforming your business phone system.
- Have a good internet connection: It is essential to have a good internet connection for efficient and seamless workflow in VoIP. Since VoIP technology converts voice into data packets that transfer over the internet to telephone networks, it needs a fast and reliable internet connection for the proper functionality of the VoIP system. Therefore, if your existing internet connection is not fast enough, you must upgrade it before switching to VoIP.
- Set up your network infrastructure: Even if you have a good bandwidth connection, but your network hardware is not up to the mark to perform a required task, you need to make certain changes. The VoIP technology works best when connected directly to a router or switch system. It is essential to link each phone into the network switch with Ethernet cables and then connect those switches into the router for smart and superior performance. The network switch must be able to support VoIP traffic. Besides, big enterprises may require several switches and a VLAN (Virtual LAN) configuration. A VLAN segment works smartly by segmenting the network by MAC addresses in a well-organized and planned manner. This ultimately helps to reduce network congestion and enhance VoIP device performance.
- Choose a professional VoIP provider: It may not be possible for some businesses, especially small businesses, to spend a huge amount to get started with VoIP. However, with a cloud PBX solution in place, it is not required to spend thousands of dollars. That doesn’t mean that one can choose any service provider and get success overnight. Even though you have a good internet connection, better network infrastructure, and high-quality devices, choosing the wrong VoIP service provider can lead to poor VoIP calls. Thus, the data centers of a professional VoIP provider play an important role in maintaining call quality.
- Implement advanced VoIP business phone features: After selecting the best VoIP service provider, you must ask for the advanced business phone features that can help to streamline the entire communication system. Ensure that the VoIP providers you are considering include all these features as part of their standard VoIP package. Some of the key features are:
- IVR (Interactive Voice Response)
- Automatic call forwarding when busy
- Call queuing
- Conference bridge
- Extension dialing
- Voicemail forwarding
- VoIP number porting, etc.
- Select your VoIP hardware: The next important step when switching to a VoIP system is to choose the best suitable VoIP hardware. For instance, for the desk phone setup, choose VoIP phones, for hands-free option, choose VoIP headsets, for internet-connected equipment like cell phone, choose a VoIP softphone, to retrofit the current analog phones or PBX setup, use a VoIP adapter, to manage voice calls from your smartphone, computer, or any other device, use VoIP apps.
- Provide proper training to your staff: Any technological change in the workplace can make it hard for the employees to adopt the new technology. Therefore, before switching to VoIP technology, it is advisable to provide a proper training program. The program should educate employees about VoIP technology, new software and hardware usage, etc. The IT team should know the working system of new equipment with the network. Besides, managers and data analysts must familiarize themselves with CRM and analytics.
- Now it’s the time for VoIP phone system installation: Now that you have all the key knowledge about switching to a VoIP phone system, it’s time to move on to the installation. The complexity of installation may differ from business to business and the choice of the hardware setup.
So, these are some of the best tips that you must consider in your mind before making a switch to a VoIP phone system. As soon as you install the system, you can start making cost-effective international calls. You can save up to 90% of phone bill expenses by switching to VoIP technology. Besides, VoIP providers allow their customers to enjoy VoIP-to-VoIP calls as a free service. Hope this guide will help you to make an informed decision about switching to a VoIP phone system.